Emergency Financial Assistance


What We Do

Rent and utility assistance for short-term financial emergencies is available for residents in the 28134 zip code or that have students enrolled at Pineville or Sterling Elementary schools.

Please review the list of documents below that you will need to apply for assistance.

Phone: (704) 972-8722

Lobby Hours: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Monday – Thursday

Address: 561 North Polk St., Pineville, NC 28134

If you are at risk of eviction or utility disconnection while you or someone in your household has COVID, is sick or is experiencing symptoms of COVID or another illness, please do not come in person to seek assistance. You can email our team or call for instructions on how to apply remotely. 

What We Need From you

You will need to provide legible copies of the following documents:

    • Picture ID of the person applying for financial assistance and all adults (18 and above) in the household.
    • Social Security documentation for all household members: Social Security (SS) card, documentation from the SS Administration, W2 form from an employer, paystub with a complete SS number, or W7 if applicable. If you are not registered with the SS Administration, you must provide some form of ID.
    • Proof of household income over the past 30 days for all residents including earned and unearned income. Include all paystubs received by any household members during this period. If anyone receives unemployment, SSI, SSA, VA benefits, retirement pension, child support, disability payments, or income from any other source, you must provide verification of that income.
    • Past due utility bills or disconnection notices in the name of an adult who resides at that address, if applying for utility assistance.
    • Notice of an upcoming court date, court papers from a court date that has passed, or late notice from your landlord, if applying for rental assistance.
    • Rental lease to verify your residence if you are seeking rent assistance. 

You will be able to submit documents electronically or provide physical copies in person. Please ensure all documents are legible and show complete name, mailing address, dates, and amounts. We cannot guarantee the return of original documents. Any missing items will require follow-up before your request can be considered

How the process works

Our office is open Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. You can talk with a team member by phone or email during these hours and submit all documentation electronically. You can also come to our office where you can complete and submit an application and consent form, along with the supporting documents listed above.  

A staff member will review your application to make sure it’s complete, and will follow up with you if additional information is needed. In some cases, other resources in the community may be more helpful. Our staff is trained to help steer you in the right direction based on your individual needs.

We prioritize cases to address the most immediate critical needs first, just like an emergency room. But you won’t have to sit in our office until it’s your turn.

Our goal is to address people at imminent risk of eviction or disconnection first, and so on.

    • For example, people with utilities already disconnected or scheduled for disconnection today are served before those who have a later date or a past-due notice without a disconnection date.

    • Similarly, those facing court-ordered eviction are addressed before those with a late notice for rent who have not been to court.

Case managers will follow up by phone, beginning with the most urgent requests, to discuss your situation and determine your eligibility for assistance. Depending on the nature of your emergency, it may take more than a week before you get a call.

While you are waiting, explore every resource available to you to address your financial need. During your phone assessment, you will be asked what amount you can contribute, in addition to any financial assistance that is approved, toward your past due balance. Still, there is no guarantee you will receive assistance. Typically, customers will be asked to provide some portion of a rent balance even if assistance is provided.

Our case managers are trained to understand many different challenges
 and to help you stay housed, keep your utilities on, and plan to avoid a future financial crisis. You and your case manager may discuss different options that could help you after the interview.

If assistance is awarded, a check is issued directly to your utility vendor, landlord, or clerk of the court.

Scroll to Top